Healthy eating is very essential to our bodies, as the saying “goes we are what we eat” is starting to become less of a clique and more of a fact. Try to stay away from many of the chemically and processed altered foods as possible, and start eating more organic grown foods, these foods tend to not only digest better but also keep your body functioning longer. Below you will find just a few tips to help you on your eating healthy journey. Please feel free to leave comments on any more tips you may have.
10 EASY TIPS TO HEALTHY EATING
1. EAT SMALLER PORTIONS MORE OFTEN: You want to eat 5-6 small to medium size meals per day. On average this will equal out to you eating every 3 hours. This will keep you from feeling like you are starving which often leads to unhealthy eating choices. This will also boost your body’s metabolism and ability to burn more calories. If something will interfere with you eating during the day, plan ahead and prepare your meals ahead of time so they are easily accessible.
2. CARBOHYDRATE INTAKE IS RELATIVE TO ACTIVITY LEVEL: This means that the more active you are the more carbohydrates you can allow yourself to consume. Carbohydrates can be found in breads, cereals, vegetables, and fruits, however be careful that what you eat does not contain a lot of high fructose corn syrup which is found often times in non-fat foods. Remember the less processed the better.
3. INCLUDE LEAN PROTEIN WITH EACH MEAL: Lean protein can be found in chicken, tuna, fish, lean pork, lean red meat, and milk. Protein helps to build and maintain muscle as well as strengthen the immune system. Protein shakes are also a good way to include protein in your snacks.
4. CHOSE CARBOHYDRATES RICH IN FIBER: High fiber carbohydrates include oatmeal and vegetables (especially green leafy ones). Fiber will help to improve your body’s digestive system, regulate blood sugar, and promote cardiovascular health.
5. INCLUDE PRE-WORKOUT AND POST-WORKOUT SHOOTERS: These can often be used as your snacks throughout the day. Working out tears down the body and recovery mix shakes are a great nutritional way to get your body what it needs to recover.
6. ADD A MULTIVITAMIN TO YOUR DAILY DIET: Our bodies need a great deal of vitamins and antioxidants to function at its best, however most diets lack in achieving this. A multivitamin is a quick and easy way to make sure that you are consuming the proper amount, and providing the body with what it needs to repair damage done throughout the day.
7. STAY HYDRATED: You need to try to drink a gallon of water a day. Water will not only keep you hydrated the best, which will allow you to perform at your best each day, but will also help you regulate your appetite. Also you should try to avoid drinking calories which are found in sodas, juices, alcohol, etc….
8. EAT BREAKFAST EVERYDAY: You never want your body to be in a fasted state. As you sleep your body uses nutrients for repair and energy, so when you wake up you have nothing left. Breakfast provides your body with the energy needed to keep your metabolism going.
9. RAINBOWS AND FEW LEGS: Two good guides to overall healthy eating are to eat foods with color (like the rainbow) and to eat meats with few legs, for example chickens have 2 legs which is less than a cow that has 4. Chicken is a much leaner protein and therefore better than red meat. Same goes for fish, as long as it’s not fried.
10. MIX FOODS FOR VARIETY: People get frustrated with their diet sometimes because they feel limited. Think outside the box and plan ahead so that you can incorporate various healthy meals throughout the week. This will help to keep you motivated and eating correctly.
Once again please feel free to comment on any additional healthy eating ideas you may have.